Monday, February 28, 2011

Levar Burton

So, I am a huge nerd. Have been for a long time.

Especially when I was like 7. My two favorite TV shows were

          1. Reading Rainbow
          2. Star Trek : TNG

Now that I'm a grown up, I realize that actors can be in more than one show at a time - especially ones that involve a tiny cross section of common viewers, like Reading Rainbow and Star Trek.

I was in that small cross section of common viewers, and I will conjecture that is why I am an emotional wreck. Imagine, if you will for a minute with me, a 7 year old me. I was super cute - had HUGE glasses. I had old lady hair, and thought I was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It was a daily ritual to come home from school, watch Reading Rainbow, go play outside, possibly do my homework, and then in the evenings, watch Star Trek, MacGyver, and Night Court with my dad.

The first time I saw Levar on Star Trek, it didn't even cross my mind that this man had been reading me books mere hours before. A few days later, I was up to my nightly routine and noticed he looked familiar. All of a sudden, my 7 year old worlds came crashing down around me! Holy crap! How could this man read me books and then make it to the Delta galaxy to kick some alien booty? This. Wasn't. Possible.

I had to get to the bottom of it.

I asked my dad about it and he said that the man's name was Levar Burton and that he was an actor who played multiple roles. It still didn't make sense to me (I've never been quick on the uptake), so I pouted.

The next day, I asked my grandpa who merely suggested that while it was the same man in real life, the real life man was actually magical, and he did actually kick alien booty. It all made sense.

I still firmly believe that Levar Burton is a magical fairy creature, simply waiting for another chance to climb aboard the Voyager and save us from impending doom.
Or, he could just read me a picture book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment